Tuesday, November 19, 2013

November 19

I love Alexis being my Top Banana, she does keep me on schedule and wants to make her own too.  I have to love children's enthusiasm to being the teacher.  We learned a lot form Alexis she shared her poster today and reported she added a picture of her brother and her searching through drawers in the kitchen.  When asked why she told us,"You would have to ask my mother I was too little."  We asked why she liked to play with her brother Alex she replied,"My big brother is always too busy."  I love to report exactly what they say because children do have a vivid explanation for things going on in their life.  She shared she added herself as a baby so we could she her when she was small.  I loved learning about her today, can't wait for more.

We had a great day continuing withe research and learning the key to research is reading and narrowing our topic to fit what we know something about already and have more questions.  We completed our CGI math with subtracting and addition.  Please make sure your child is not just writing a number sentence.  They need to show how they solve for the answer.  I have taught them base ten method or partial sum method.  Please have them show you the strategy to fit them.  If they are to solve 52-38 they would think of it as what number do I add to 38 to get me to 52. 38 is 2 steps to 40, 40 is ten steps to 50, and 50 is 2 more steps to 52.  This would be 2+10+2= 14 the answer is 52-38=14.  They have been doing this in class and should be able to model this for you.  I hope you are having a fantastic time letting them teach you.

Tomorrow we should have enough time to hear from Aiden and Kelly, who need to do their show-n-tell. They forgot on their week.

No comments:

Post a Comment